Office of Admissions
| General Guidelines | Application Instructions | Notes and Reminders | Check Application Status |
Please read all the instructions below before completing your online application.
There are two applications to apply to a University of Maryland Dental Hygiene program. You must complete both applications to be considered for the program. Both applications are open from November 15 until February 28. Applicants are encouraged to complete the primary application first, which is the ADEA DHCAS application. The ADEA DHCAS application includes all supplemental materials such as transcripts, resume, personal statement, recommendation letters, and shadowing form. There is a fee associated with this application. Please review the Quick Start Guide and FAQs on the ADEA DHCAS website for more information about the application process. If you have questions about the ADEA DHCAS application, please reach out to ADEA DHCAS customer support.
The secondary application is a very brief application required by the University of Maryland School of Dentistry. There is an $80 fee associated with this application. You will create a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and password. Additional instructions for this application can be found further down on this page.
Applicants will check the status and progress of their application online by logging back into ADEA DHCAS. There is no status or progress associated with the secondary application.
Applications for the Bachelor of Science program are reviewed by the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee for the following:
- Completeness of application
- Completion of required prerequisite courses
- GPA of required science courses
- Overall GPA of required courses
- Overall academic record (including repeated courses, failures, withdrawals, etc.)
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Potential for and demonstration of leadership qualities
- Quality of personal statement
- Interest and knowledge of the dental hygiene profession
- Completion of pre-application dental hygiene shadowing experiences
- Quality of recommendation letters
Candidates whose applications meet preliminary screening criteria will continue with the admissions process and may be invited for an interview with members of the Committee on Dental Hygiene Recruitment and Admissions. A personal interview does not guarantee admissions.
Before completing the ADEA DHCAS or secondary application, please review the Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science degree admissions requirements and guidelines.
Note: All supplemental materials will be uploaded to the ADEA DHCAS application. No supplemental materials will be accepted via postal mail.
Instructions for Submitting the University of Maryland Secondary Application
- Once you log into the secondary application following the instructions provided by the "First Time Applicants Click Here" link, you will first select an 'Application Term'and an 'Applicant Type' from the drop-down menus; the 'Applicant Type' is the program to which you are applying.
- Follow the online instructions for completing the application in its entirety paying special attention the required items; be sure to complete each section of the application under the 'Application Checklist'
- Select DHYG Bachelor of Science
Final Notes and Reminders
You may stop and save your work to continue later while completing both the ADEA DHCAS and the secondary application. Please note your application will not be reviewed or considered until both the ADEA DHCAS and the secondary application are submitted successfully, and all supplemental materials and your $80 application fee are received.
CLICK HERE TO BEGIN THE SECONDARY APPLICATION!
NOTE: You may not make further modifications (changes, additions, etc.) to your secondary application once it has been electronically submitted. Any corrected or additional information must be sent to the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Dental Hygiene Office of Admissions by email at email@example.com. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again. ADEA DHCAS allows limited changes to your primary application and supplemental materials.