General information for orthodontic patients
The Division of Orthodontics has provided over the years the highest quality treatment to the residents of Maryland. It has also contributed to the profession of Orthodontics by engaging in innovative research and educating new members of both the general dentistry and orthodontic communities. Treatment is provided by licensed dentists who are completing an additional three years of advanced training in the specialty of orthodontics.
To schedule an initial orthodontic screening appointment, please call 410-706-7803 or download the Initial Orthodontic Screening Form. For general information about the Orthodontics screening process, download Orthodontics General Screening Information.
Services and Treatment
Orthodontics is responsible for alignment of teeth and treatment of problems related to growth and development of the face and jaws. We provide the following methods of treatment for children, adolescents, and adults:
- Traditional metal braces
- Tooth-colored braces (clear braces)
- Clear aligners (adults)
- Removable appliances
- Surgical orthodontics and Craniofacial Deformities
- Implant orthodontics
Hours of Operation
- Receptionists are available to assist you 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Hours may vary due to special circumstances.
- Appointment times may vary depending on your provider's schedule
- Clinics are open year-round, but closed weekends, holidays, and during student/resident vacations
Fees, Insurance, and Payment Plans
- All patients being treated in the Advanced Specialty Orthodontic Clinic will be placed on a contract with an initial downpayment and regular monthly payment, pending credit approval (download Credit Report Application).
- If credit is not approved, full payment is due prior to the start of treatment
- For specific payment arrangements, you will be directed to one of our Business Managers.
- Payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card
- For patients with insurance through Maryland Healthy Smiles, specific guidelines set by Maryland Healthy Smiles must be met in order to receive coverage for orthodontic treatment
- As a patient of the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, you are entitled to a complete treatment plan that includes your expected cost for care.
- Please be sure that you are clear on your financial responsibilities before beginning any dental treatment. You will be expected to demonstrate this awareness by placing your signature on your individual treatment plan.
- For those patients who do have insurance information on record we will submit claims to your insurance carrier, as a courtesy to you, so that you are able to achieve the maximum reimbursement that you are entitled to.
- Please keep in mind that insurance companies do not guarantee payment for services, therefore, the full balance for your treatment costs are ultimately your responsibility.
- Any insurance payments that we do receive will be applied to your payment plan contract.
- Your insurance information will be checked at each appointment to ensure coverage.
- We do not accept HMOs at the school of dentistry.