Associate Professor Abraham Schneider, DDS, PhD
Repurposing drugs commonly used for specific chronic diseases that are also beneficial for other unrelated conditions might offer novel and cost-effective strategies to be integrated into overall patient care. This appears to be the case with metformin, the most widely used oral anti-diabetic drug by people affected with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Research conducted in the Schneider laboratory is gaining a better basic and translational insight into the potential use of metformin within local delivery formulations for oral, dental and craniofacial applications. These include studies on (a) oral cancer experimental therapeutics and (b) mesenchymal stem cell-based mineralized tissue regeneration. Results from these studies will yield valuable information that may lead to the implementation of metformin-loaded local delivery platforms to treat conditions affecting the oral, dental and craniofacial region.
Cancer Biology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Wisniewski DJ, T Ma and A Schneider. Nicotine induces oral dysplastic keratinocyte migration via Fatty Acid Synthase-dependent Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor activation. Experimental Cell Research 370(2): 343-352, 2018. PMID: 29966661
- Wisniewski DJ, T Ma and A Schneider. Advances in the chemopreventive targeting of oral carcinogenesis. Current Oral Health Reports 2(2): 63-72, 2015.
- Schneider A. Mouse models to study metformin effects in carcinogenesis. In: Berger NA (ed) Murine Models, Energy Balance and Cancer. Energy Balance and Cancer 10: 271-292, 2015. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Patel H, RH Younis, RA Ord, JR Basile and A Schneider. Differential expression of organic cation transporter OCT-3 in oral premalignant and malignant lesions: potential implications in the antineoplastic effects of metformin. J Oral Pathol Med 42(3):250-6, 2013. PMID: 22861817
- Vitale-Cross L, AA Molinolo, D Martin, RH Younis, M Takashi, V Patel, W Chen, A Schneider* and JS Gutkind. Metformin prevents the development of oral squamous cell carcinomas from carcinogenesis induced premalignant lesions. Cancer Prev Res 5(4): 562-73, 2012. PMID: 22467081. *Co-senior corresponding author
- Wang X, A Schneider. HIF2a-mediated activation of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor potentiates head and neck cancer cell migration in response to hypoxia. Carcinogenesis 31(7): 1202-10, 2010. PMID: 20395290
- Schneider A, RH Younis and JS Gutkind. Hypoxia-induced energy stress inhibits the mTOR pathway by activating an AMPK/REDD1 signaling axis in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Neoplasia10(11):1295-1302, 2008. PMID: 18953439
- Schneider A, LM Kalikin, AC Mattos, ET Keller, MJ Allen, KJ Pienta and LK McCauley. Bone turnover mediates preferential localization of prostate cancer in the skeleton. Endocrinology 146 (4): 1727-1736, 2005. PMID: 15637291
- McCauley LK and A Schneider. PTHrP and skeletal metastasis. Cancer Treatment and Research 118: 125-147, 2004. PMID: 15043191
Stem cell-based mineralized tissue regeneration
- Wang S, Y Xia, T Ma, MD Weir, K Ren, MA Reynolds, Y Shu, L Cheng, A Schneider*, Hockin H. K. Xu. Novel metformin-containing resin promotes odontogenic differentiation and mineral synthesis of dental pulp stem cells. Drug Delivery and Translational Research 9(1): 85-96, 2019. PMID: 30465181. *Co-senior corresponding author.
- Qin W, J-Y Chen, J Guo, T Ma, MD Weir, D Guo, Y Shu, Z-M Lin, A Schneider* and HHK Xu. Novel calcium phosphate cement with metformin-loaded chitosan for odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp cells. Stem Cells Int, 2018: 7173481. PMID: 30598667 *Co-senior corresponding author.
- Al Jofi FE, T Ma, D Guo, MP Schneider, Y Shu, HHK Xu, and A Schneider. Functional Organic Cation Transporters Mediate Osteogenic Response to Metformin in Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Cytotherapy 20(5): 650-659, 2018. PMID: 29555409
- Qin W, X-L Gao, T Ma, MD Weir, J Zou, B Song, Z Lin, A Schneider*, and HHK Xu. Metformin enhances the differentiation of dental pulp stem cells into odontoblasts by activating AMPK signaling. Journal of Endodontics 44(4): 576-584, 2018. PMID: 29306537. *Co-senior corresponding author.
- Wang P, T Ma, K Hu, D Guo, Y Shu, HHK Xu, and A Schneider. Metformin induces osteoblastic differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived mesenchymal stem cells. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 12(2): 437-446, 2018. PMID: 28494141
- Schneider A, JM Taboas, LK McCauley and PH Krebsbach. Skeletal homeostasis in tissue-engineered bone. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 21(5): 859-864, 2003. PMID: 12919874
Education and Training
DDS: Peruvian University Cayetano Heredia, Faculty of Stomatology, Lima - Peru.
Residency: Periodontics, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT.
PhD: Oral Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
Postdoctoral Fellowship: National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Bethesda, MD.