Clinical/Educational Student Community Outreach Protocol
These type of community service outreach activities is reviewed and approved though the Office of Clinical Affairs. Any questions related to educational/clinical activities should be directed to Ms. Elyse Markwitz.
- For all Educational community service outreach activities that do not involve screenings, fluoride varnish, etc. UMSOD Faculty member does not need to oversee the event. The following is needed two weeks prior to the event:
- Educational/Clinical Student Activities Request Form
- Submit the signed form to the Director of Medical Credentialing & Quality Assurance, Ms. Elyse Markwitz and copy the SGA and your class community service chair(s).
- A list of student names need to be submitted to Ms. Markwitz prior to the event, stating what the students will be doing at the event
- Faculty is to notify students if they will NOT be assisting at the event and doing other volunteer task (such as: setting up, etc.)
- For Clinical community service outreach activities and health fairs that involve screenings, fluoride varnish, etc., A faculty member with a current Maryland State Dental License must accompany any community service event which includes patient evaluation, screening, prevention, or treatment. It is not necessary to have a faculty member with you if you are limited to patient instruction or education only. A UMSOD Faculty member must oversee the event. The following is needed two weeks prior to the event for liability Insurance reasons:
- Information and Guidelines-Professional Liability Insurance Coverage Form
- Dental Screening Consent Form – each participant (patient) must complete and sign
For both educational and clinical community service outreach, all forms must be completed and sent to Ms. Elyse Markwitz two to three weeks prior to the outreach event so that it may be reviewed and approved by The Office of Clinical Affairs. For clinical outreach, please provide the completed Sign-In Sheet and Consent form following the event. This is necessary for the event to be covered by our liability policy.
For more information regarding Community Service Events Procedures, please refer to the Clinic Manual.