During the course of their education at UMSOD, our students on average donate more than 7500 hours of community service. Many UMSOD student clubs and organizations are engaged in service initiatives with community partners throughout Maryland.
Student community service protocol for participating in community service event:
- For all Educational community service outreach activities that do not involve screenings, fluoride varnish, etc. a UMSOD Dentist Faculty or Faculty do not need to be overseeing the event. The following is needed 2 weeks prior to the event:
- Complete the following Educational Form titled Student Education Activities Form: NON CLINICAL/EDUCATIONAL ONLY Form.
- The sponsoring UMSOD Faculty provider and the Faculty provider’s Chairman both sign the form.
- For Clinical community service outreach activities and health fairs that involve screenings, fluoride varnish, etc., a School of Dentistry Dentist Faculty must be overseeing the event. The following is needed 2 weeks prior to the event for Liability Insurance reasons:
- Complete the Student Activities Information and Guidelines form titled Information and Guidelines-Professional Liability Insurance Coverage Form.
- The Dental Screening Consent Form – each participant (patient) must complete and sign.
- The Template Sign-In Sheet and Consent is necessary for each participant (patient) to sign. (You will need to change the date on the form.)
- A faculty member with a current Maryland State Dental License must accompany any community service event which includes patient evaluation, screening, prevention or treatment. It is not necessary to have a faculty member with you if you are limited to patient instruction or education only.
- Both forms must be completed and sent to Ms. Elyse Markwitz (EMarkwitz@umaryland.edu) two to three weeks before the outreach clinical and/or educational event so that it may be reviewed and approved by Dr. Louis G. DePaola. This is necessary for the event to be covered by our liability policy.
- For more information regarding Community Service Events Procedures, please refer to the Clinic Manual.