Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, we are not accepting in person externships at this time.
We will be offering a Virtual Externship on Wednesday, August 25, 2021 from 5-7pm EST. If you are interested, reach out to Shannon Otto at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will register you. The deadline for registration will be 1 week prior to the virtual externship date.
The University of Maryland offers a 1 or 2 week externship rotation at the University of Maryland Medical Center for dental students who are interested in pursuing a career in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
Activities include participation in the day-to-day activities of our program - rounds, clinics, inpatient care, assisting in the operating rooms and in the trauma and emergency suites. Externs also attend at courses and seminars for the residents and often present at didactic conference, but this is not mandatory.
I would like to thank the whole team in the Department of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Maryland for allowing me the opportunity to be part of the OMFS Externship program. The two weeks in the Medical Center reaffirmed my desire to pursue a career in oral-maxillofacial after observing the high level of professionalism and work ethic of the faculty, residents and staff. Thanks again!
How Do I Apply?
All prospective externs must submit the following to be considered for the program:
- A letter recommending the student for the externship from a full time faculty member or the Chair of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery at the student's school
- A dental school transcript*
- The results of Part I of the National Dental Boards (may be a photocopy of the official report)
- Provide a curriculum vitae or resume
- Proof of mal practice insurance
- PPD results (within the last year)
- A recent photo 2x2
*The Department ONLY accepts students from U.S. or Canadian schools at this time. Thank you for your interest.
- Employee Security ID Application
- Readiness for Ambulatory Providers
- Clinic Orientation Manual
- Operating Room Rules
- Confidentiality Statement
- Volunteer Health Clearance Form
- Volunteer Application
Please submit your complete application for review to the Externship Program Coordinator via email by clicking HERE. For further contact information or questions:
Shannon Otto, Academic Program Specialist
650 W. Baltimore St. Room 1216
Baltimore, MD 21201