How to Apply
Applicants must meet all minimum admission requirements and should have had courses in biology, physics, chemistry, and mathematics through calculus. Applicants should apply directly to the UMB Graduate School online: https://umaryland.elluciancrmrecruit.com/Apply/Account/Login
In addition to the online application, applicants must submit the following directly to the Graduate School by December 15th.
- One (1) set of official transcripts or marks sheets from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended - Each transcript should bear the signature of the registrar and the seal of the granting institution and should include the years of attendance, courses taken, grades received, class standing, and the degree, diploma, or certificate conferred. Although photocopies of credentials are acceptable for initial reviews, the Graduate School must receive official copies of all academic credentials before students are admitted.
- Official standardized score reports - Applicants whose native language or language of the home is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the examination of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Have the testing agency send directly to the Graduate School; our institution code for the TOEFL is #5848. See the program description in the catalog to learn which examinations you must take for admission. You must have one set of official score reports sent to the Graduate School from the responsible testing agency.
- $75 (US) Non-refundable application fee can be paid online or sent directly to Graduate School
- Three (3) letters of recommendation- You must provide three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors or others who can attest to the quality of your academic performance and scholastic potential. Your full name, the semester or session for which admission is desired, and the program to which you are applying must be indicated on the letter or form provided for this purpose. These letters must be sent directly to the program to which you are applying.
- Statement of Academic Goals and Research Interests can be pasted in the online application. If you do not apply online, it must be sent directly to the graduate program to which you are seeking admission. The statement should be 300 to 500 words and outline your goals and objectives in pursuing graduate study.
- Certificate of Finances
Submit the application form and all required documents, credentials, materials, test scores, documentation for funding support for immigration purposes to the address that follows. The Graduate School will not process or review an application until the application fee is paid. We do not waive or defer the application fee. Applications for admission to Graduate School programs must be submitted to:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
620 W. Lexington St., 5th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Minimum Standards and Requirements
The minimum academic standard for full admission to the Graduate School is a B average, or 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in a program resulting in the award of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree and standing from a comparable foreign institution.