Below you will find the only local brain bee questions that have been officially released as samples.
- Approximately how many neurons does the brain contain? (100 billion)
- Name the device that measures brain waves. (Electroencephalograph)
- Stargazer mice are experimental models for which type of epilepsy? (Petit mal epilepsy)
- Prozac relieves symptoms of depression by affecting which neurotransmitter? (Serotonin)
- The Greek word for the branches of a tree give us the name of what part of a neuron? (Dendrites)
- Name the surgical procedure that destroys part of the basal ganglia and helps Parkinson's patients. (Pallidotomy)
- The biologic clock is located in what part of the brain? (Hypothalamus)
- Name a brain disorder named after a famous baseball player. (Lou Gehrig's disease)
- What is the mot common type of inherited mental retardation? (Fragile X Syndrome)
- Name the peptide that accumulates in the senile plaques of brains of Alzheimer's patients? (Beta Amyloid)
- What chromosome is altered to cause Huntington's disease? (Four)
- What is the leading preventable cause of mental retardation? (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome)
- The abbreviation PET stands for what brain imagine technique? ( Positron emission tomography )
- What kind of molecules are netrins and semaphorins? (Guidance molecules)
- Name a cognitive disorder associated with chronic alcoholism. (Korsakoff's Syndrome)
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2012-2013 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.