Applications for the 2024 D-REX program are open. To apply, complete the application form for Summer Research Training below, and attach your letter of interest and an unofficial transcript. The letters of recommendation should be emailed to Hening Ren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Form Instructions
Applicant Demographic information
NIH collect certain demographic information for their funded programs. The definition of these demographic categories can be found through the links below. The applicant should review this information to answer the questions in the application form.
- NIH Classification of Race and Ethnicity
- NIH Classification of Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds
- Individuals with Disabilities
Letter of Interest
Your personal statement will be circulated among potential faculty mentors and it’s your chance to sell yourself! Please work with an adult who can assist you in providing a comprehensive personal statement that will help you put your best foot forward.
Your personal statement should include a paragraph that is no longer than a quarter page for each of the following topics:
- Tell us about yourself: Name, school, age, grade, general community, or neighborhood.
- Why you’re interested in the University of Maryland School of Dentistry’s Dental Research Experience Program & what do you expect to get out of and learn from your participation in this program?
- Do you have specific career plans or goals? We understand that at this point in your life, your career goals may change numerous times before you enter a profession but please share your career interests and dreams. How you have worked toward reaching these goals and how you feel participation in this program can advance these interests. If your career goals include bioscience research, please explain your motivation for this whether it be a personal experience, volunteer work, encouragement by a mentor or otherwise.
- How has your academic experience prepared you for this internship? Please include any science courses that you’ve taken in high school and college, please highlight AP courses and grades. Please also highlight any related extracurricular activities (clubs, sports, hobbies) that you’ve engaged in.
- What skills (for example, leadership, public speaking, computer, and writing) do you possess? What do you believe is a strength that you have that might be useful in any way to your career goal and to the D-REX program?
Note: Handwritten essays will not be accepted. Use 11-point or larger font.
Letter of Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation (LOR) are required for all applicants.
- Student should have at lease one LOR from STEM teacher or research mentor. Science teacher should have at least one LOR from from their superior.
- The second LOR should come from a person involved in the applicant’s academic or professional interaction.
- Please download the Applicant Assessment Form and ask your person of reference to attach the completed form to the LOR.
- Please follow up with your person of reference to make sure they submitted the LOR by the application deadline. The LOR should be emailed to email@example.com
- Student should submit their unofficial transcript for the most recent three years (combine transcripts into one file)
- All documents should be submitted as PDF file or scanned to PDF using a copy machine or flatbed scanner. Cell phone photo is not acceptable.
- Name the file: “Applicant lastname_2024Transcript”