Richard J. Manski, DDS, MBA, PhD
Professor and Chair, Department of Dental Public Health
Executive Director, Sameul D. Harris National Museum of Dentistry
University of Maryland School of Dentistry
650 West Baltimore Street, Room 2209
Baltimore, MD 21201
CV: Richard Manski, DDS, MBA, PhD
As the Chair of Dental Public Health, Dr. Manski manages and provides oversight for a team of faculty and staff, educators and researchers. Disciplines of interest and areas of responsibility include public health, research methods, statistics, education, history, practice management, the school’s externship program and the Samuel D. Harris National Museum of Dentistry. He conducts research in health care finance, third party reimbursement and access to care. He is also responsible for and manages a multi-institutional, multidisciplinary team of researchers representing diverse institutions. Together they study the effects on dental utilization patterns associated with changes in dental coverage and changes in retirement status among older Americans.
As the Executive Director of the National Museum of Dentistry (NMD) Dr. Manski is responsible for all operations. The NMD is a Smithsonian Affiliate Organization, has one of the most comprehensive dental collections in the world, is the national collection for the social, cultural, economic, scientific and technological history of dentistry and represents the origins and development of dentistry in the United States as well as a significant portion of its development in the rest of the world. The museum received Congressional designation as the official museum of the dental profession of the United States in 2003.
Dr. Manski also serves as a senior scholar at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality providing advice on the editing and imputation of MEPS survey data related to use, source, expenditures and health insurance benefits for oral health care and methods for the enhancement and development of MEPS survey instruments. As a Senior Scholar he also provides technical assistance and advice to the oral health community on issues related to dental care expenditures, dental benefit and dental utilization data. In April of 2016 Dr. Manski was appointed as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Community College of Baltimore County. As a Trustee, he works with board members to adopt rules and regulations for college operations, approve the college budget, consider and approve academic programs and long-range plans, approve major purchases and the construction and renovation of college facilities. Dr. Manski served as a topic theme advisor on oral health for Health Affairs culminating in an Health Affairs Briefing in Washington, D.C. and publication of several oral health related articles in the December 2016 issue of Health Affairs.
- Meyerhoefer, C. D., Panovska, I. B. and Manski, R. J., “Projections Of Dental Care Utilization Through 2026: Preventive Care To Increase While Treatment Will Decline,” Health Affairs, 35, NO. 12 (2016): 2183–2189. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0833
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.F., Chen, H., Widstrom, E. and Listl, S., “Disparity in Dental Attendance Among Older Adult Populations: A Comparative Analysis Across Selected European Countries and the United States,” International Dental Journal, 66(1):36-48 February 2016, doi: 10.1111/idj.12190.
- Manski, R.J., Hoffmann, D. and Rowthorn, V., “Increasing Access to Dental and Medical Care by Allowing Greater Flexibility in Scope of Practice,” American Journal of Public Health, 105(9): 1755-1762, September 2015.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., Chen, H., Schimmel, J., Pepper, J.V and St. Clair, P.A., “A Research Note on Transitions in Out of Pocket Spending on Dental Services,” Research on Aging, 37(6):646-666, August 2015 DOI: 10.1177/0164027514552681.
- Kreider, B., Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.F. and Pepper, J.V., “The Effect of Dental Insurance on the Use of Dental Care For Older Adults: A Partial Identification Analysis,” Health Economics, 24:840-858 July 2015.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.F., Chen, H., Widstrom, E. and Listl, S., “Disparity in Dental Coverage Among Older Adult Populations: A Comparative Analysis Across Selected European Countries and the United States,” International Dental Journal, 65(2):77-88 April 2015 doi: 10.1111/idj.12139
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.F., St. Clair, P.A., Chen, H., Schimmel, J., and Pepper, J.V., “Dental Use and Expenditures for Older Uninsured Americans: The Simulated Impact of Expanded Coverage” Health Services Research, 50(1):117-135, February 2015.
- Manski R.J., Vargas C.M., Brown E., Carper K.V., Macek M.D. and Cohen L.A., “Dental Procedures among Children Age Birth to 20, United States, 1999 and 2009” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 75(1):10-16, Winter 2015, doi: 10.1111/jphd.12065.
- Moeller, J.R., Manski, R.J., Mathiowetz, N., Campbell, N. and Pepper, J.V., “Response Error in Reporting Dental Coverage by Older Americans in the Health and Retirement Study,” Inquiry, 51:1- 10 January-December 2014.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., Chen, H., “Dental Coverage and Use: Modeling Limitations and Opportunities” American Journal of Public Health, 104(10):2002-2009 October 2014.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., Chen, H., St. Clair, P.A., Schimmel, J., and Pepper, J.V., “Dental Usage Under Changing Economic Conditions,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 74 (1): 1–12, Winter 2014.
- C. Meyerhoefer, Zuvekas, S.H., and Manski, R.J., “The Demand for Preventive and Restorative Dental Services” Health Economics, 23(1): 14-32, January 2014
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., St. Clair, P.A., Chen, H., Schimmel, J., and Pepper, J.V., “Tracking Patterns of Health Care Utilization Among Older Americans Over Time” American Journal of Public Health, 103(7):1314-1324, July 2013.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., Chen, H., St. Clair, P.A., Schimmel, J., and Pepper, J.V., “Wealth Effect and Dental Care Utilization in the U.S.,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 72 (3): 179–189, 2012.
- Cooper, P. F., Manski, R. J. and Pepper, J.V., "The Effect of Dental Insurance on Dental Care Use and Selection Bias," Medical Care, 50(9) 757-763, September 2012.
- Manski, R.J. and Brown, E. Dental Procedures, United States, 1999 and 2009. Statistical Brief #368. April 2012. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., St. Clair, P.A., Chen, H., Schimmel, J., and Pepper, J.V., “The Influence of Changes in Dental Care Coverage on Dental Care Utilization Among Retirees and Near-Retirees, 2004-2006” American Journal of Public Health, 101(10):1882-1891, October 2011.
- Chen, H., Moeller, J.F., and Manski, R.J., “Co-morbidity, dental visits, and hospital visits among Medicare beneficiaries 2002” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 71(3):202-211, Summer 2011.
- Moeller, J.F., Chen, H., Manski, R.J., “Is Preventive Dental Care a Good Investment for the Medicare Population, A Preliminary Analysis?” American Journal of Public Health, 100(11):2262–2269, November 2010.
- Manski, R.J., Moeller, J.R., Chen, H., St. Clair, P.A., Schimmel, J., Magder, L. and Pepper, J.V., “Dental Care Expenditures and Retirement,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 70:148–155, June 2010.
- Manski, R. J. and Cooper, P. F., “Characteristics of Employers Providing Dental Coverage in the US," Journal of the American Dental Association, 141(6):700-711 June 2010.