Research Funding Information
Nationwide organizations, like the National Institutes of Health and the American Association of Dental Student Research, award funding for a variety of research projects. Funding opportunities from foundations and bio-tech companies are available projectively and periodically. Travel awards, fellowships and research grants are awarded to graduate students and post-graduate residents from a number of other sources. In addition, the Office of Institutional Advancement at the school of dentistry provides information about scholarships and awards for student researchers. Aside from the opportunities listed here, national meetings often offer travel awards to students wishing to present research. Funding opportunities are periodically updated as new information becomes available.
National Institutes of Health Funding
- The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellows (F31) are available for Ph.D. students. Click here for more information.
- NIH Graduate Partnership Program. https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/gpp
- NIH Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award. https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta
- NIH Training Programs in Biomedical Research. https://www.training.nih.gov/programs
National Institute of Dental Research & Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
- NIDCR Grants and Funding. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/grantsandfunding/
- NIDCR Fellowship in Dental Public Health. https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/careers-training/dentists-physicians-fellowship-dental-public-health
- Dental Clinical Research Fellows Training Program. https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/careers-training/dentists-physicians/clinical-research-fellowship
- Physician Based Research Network. https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/research/clinical-trials/national-dental-practice-based-research-network
Other Funding Sources
- National Center for Dental Hygiene Research & Practice (dhnet) – Funding. https://dent-web10.usc.edu/dhnet/research.asp?section=2&category=19
- American Dental Association Resources (ADA). http://www.ada.org/en/science-research/health-policy-institute/
- National Center for Dental Hygiene Research & Practice (dhnet). https://dent-web10.usc.edu/dhnet/research.asp?section-2&category=19
- AADR/IADR Student Research Fellowship. http://www.iadr.org/AADR/Awards/Student-Fellowships/SRF
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). http://www.hrsa.gov/grants/index.html
- National Science Foundation Funding http://www.nsf.gov/funding/
- Research.gov – Online grants management for the NSF Community. http://www.research.gov/
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Funding. http://www.cdc.gov/funding
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Grant Opportunities. http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/business/ucm119348.htm
- Pan American Health Organization. http://www.paho.org/hq/
- Indian Public Health Services Program.http://www.ihs.gov/
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grants. http://www.rwjf.org/en/grants.html#q/maptype/grants/ll/37.91,-96.38/z/4
- Commissioned Corps. https://intrahr.od.nih.gov/policyguidance/corps/default.htm
- ADEA Scholarships, Awards and Fellowships - offers student scholarships, awards for educators and funding opportunities for various fellowships. http://www.adea.org/Secondary.aspx?id=11606
Short-term training for DDS or DDS/PhD students
- The Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Scholars Program requires one year away from dental school curriculum. Click here for more information.
- The American Association of Dental Research Student Research Fellowship is available for DDS or DDS/PhD students; deadline is January. Click here for more information.
- The Clinical Research Training Program offers a one-year research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health, with an optional second year. Click here for more information.
University of Maryland School of Dentistry graduate awards
- The Graduate Student Research Association Research Grant provides $1,000 toward research expenses, based on financial need and merit. Click here for more information.
Summer research training programs
- University of Maryland School of Dentistry Summer Research Training Program. Click here for more information.
- The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research Summer Dental Student Award. Click here for more information.
- NIH Summer Internship Program. https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/sip
Underrepresented minorities and need-based awards
- UNCF/Merck Graduate Science Research Dissertation Fellowships are given to a dozen African American science graduate students. The awards include a stipend of up to $42,000 and a research grant of up to $10,000. Research projects must be one to three years in length; deadline is December. Click here for more information.
- The Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology gives several travel awards. Click here for more information.
- Students in the Summer Research Training Program are awarded travel grants to the American Dental Association Annual Session and the Hinman Student Research Symposium.
Office of Institutional Advancement
- The Office of Institutional Advancement can provide information on a number of different scholarships and awards. Click here for more information.
Other UMB Research Resources & Services
- Research Connection: provided by the HS/HSL, this is a comprehensive suite of programs and services designed to advance the success of UMB faculty, staff and students. http://www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/services/researchconnection.cfm
- Research Resources in Dentistry. http://guides.hshsl.umaryland.edu/dentistry/research
- Research Funding (also listed above). http://guides.hshsl.umaryland.edu/researchfunding
- UMB’s Research & Development website. http://www.umaryland.edu/ord/
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2012-2013 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.