Combined DDS-Master's Program
In response to a growing interest among students of dentistry and today's strong demand for clinician-scientists in the oral health arena, the University of Maryland School of Dentistry is offering a dual DDS-Master's program. The programs are designed to prepare outstanding clinical scientists, thoroughly versed in clinical research or public health and capable of addressing significant problems in oral health. Students can choose a master's in clinical research or a master's in public health and graduate with the DDS-MSCR or DDS-MPH. A maximum of two students are admitted into the program each year. A student may enter the program in year one, two, or prior to entering the third year of dental school.
The dual degree program builds on the school's tradition of attracting and cultivating high-caliber students. Since 1997, more than 100 University of Maryland dental students have presented their work at national or international meetings and several have published in peer-reviewed journals. The University of Maryland School of Dentistry students have been especially successful in garnering prestigious NIH awards. Their experience at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry has prepared them for new opportunities around the country.
The program is directed by Dr. Pei Feng. Dr. Feng is currently on the faculty at the University Of Maryland School of Dentistry.
Pei Feng, MD, PhD
Department of Oncology and Diagnostic Sciences
Director, Office of Research
Students enrolled in the program will receive financial support in the form of a stipend for the one full-time year of the program. In addition, short-term fellowships are available for research conducted in the summer before entering dental school and summer work during dental school.
Upon admission, a student is assigned to an advisory committee. Projects will be overseen by a school of dentistry and school of medicine mentor in the area of the student's project. The student meets regularly with mentors and advisors for guidance and evaluation throughout the program.
Years 1 & 2
Similar to year one and two of the dental pre-doctoral curriculum, with addition of:
- Master's courses selected from the Master's Program curricula
- Clinical research or Research Practicum for the Master's in Clinical Research
- Community and public health experience (Capstone Experience) for the Master's in Public Health
- Clinical research project, Research Practicum, or Capstone Experience
- Additional Master's-related course
- Clinical requirements for DDS degree (equivalent to junior year of dental school) and additional Master's-related courses.
- Progression through Master's degree candidacy
- Unique DDS senior year clinical experience in a general practice stimulated setting.
- Completion of Master's coursework or project through electives and selectives.
Upon completion of all program requirements, students receive the DDS and Master's degrees simultaneously.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2012-2013 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.