Most of the instruments in the Electron Microscopy Core Imaging Facility are accessible for users who have received prior training. The two major instrument; transmission electron microscope (TEM) and scanning electron microscope (SEM), are both designed for multi-user facility and easy to operate.
Researchers who have completed scope training will be able to operate the scope and acquire images of their own samples at reduced scope hour charges ($25/30 min) and flexible schedule.
In order to increase the proficiency of scope usage among EMCIF researchers, EMCIF will start offering group training of TEM and SEM scope operation at biweekly intervals starting 2015.
- Group scope operation training will be held at alternating Mondays from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Howard Hall Room 696, EMCIF.
- Up to five participants can be accommodated in each training session. Acceptance will be based on the order of reservation.
- Non-UMB researchers please contact EMCIF to arrange registration separately.
- Due to limited hands-on time during group training, an additional one -two hour supervised practice session (scheduled on request, $120) will still be required before basic user privilege is granted to operate the scope. Researchers are encouraged to use their own samples during the practice time. Therefore, training can be completed at $220 and have portions of your EM project completed in the same time.
- One-on-one basic scope training (including a two hour individual training and two hour supervised practice, $400) is still available for researchers who cannot participate group training at regular time. Please contact EMCIF director to schedule one-one-one training
- Past trainees are welcome to return for refresher training free of charge. However, reservation is still required in order to reserve the space.