Combined DDS-PhD Program
Here is a typical program timeline:
Years One & Two
Similar to year one and two of the dental predoctoral curriculum, with addition of:
- Graduate-level courses in biochemistry, physiology, and pharmacology
- Weekly research seminars and journal club meetings
- Biostatistics and start of laboratory rotations (summer between years one and two).
Years Three, Four, Five
- Research laboratory work
- Completion of elective coursework tailored to students' chosen research area
- Progression through doctoral degree candidacy
- Completion of doctoral dissertation
- Reassessment of clinical skills (spring semester, year five ), followed by preclinical courses as appropriate to address additional training needs.
Years Six & Seven
- Completion of clinical requirements of DDS degree (equivalent to years three and four of dental school) and additional research-related activities. Upon completion of the clinical program, students receive DDS and PhD degrees simultaneously.