Office of the Ombuds
A confidential place to go with your questions and concerns.
Confidential. Neutral. Informal. Independent.
The Office of the Ombuds helps University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON) and University of Maryland School of Dentistry (UMSOD) faculty and staff express concerns, resolve disputes, manage conflict, seek fair and equitable solutions, and learn more productive ways of communicating.
The ombudsperson will:
- Offer information about University and departmental policies and procedures
- Help people examine options for resolving concerns
- Help facilitate access to other resources
- Provide mediation or shuttle diplomacy when requested and appropriate
- Respect privacy
When To Visit the Office of the Ombuds
- When you need someone to listen
- When you have an uncomfortable situation at work that is bothering you
- When you need help clarifying or resolving a conflict
- When you feel you have been treated unfairly, harassed, or discriminated against
- When you think someone you work with has engaged in misconduct or done something unethical
- When you are unsure about a UMSON or UMB policy or you believe it has been applied unfairly
- When you don’t know where else to turn
About the Ombudsperson
Laurelyn Irving, PhD, has more than 20 years of experience training university staff how to help others resolve conflict on six different university campuses.
She has mediated more than 900 cases in the court system and is a member of the International Ombudsman Association.
She has a PhD from the University of North Texas in higher education administration, a Master of Social Work from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Bachelor of Arts degree in applied sociology from Purdue University.
- Confidential phone: 410-706-8534
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Environmental Health and Safety Office, 714 W. Lombard Street - Room 201
Meetings are by appointment only.
|Important note: The ombudsperson is not authorized to accept notice of claims against the University.|