|Proper Pharmacologic Prescribing and Disposal for Dental Practitioners||410-706-2282|
Saturday, January 11, 2014, from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry
Presented by: Richard L. Wynn, PhD
Richard L. Wynn, PhD, is professor of pharmacology at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry (UMSOD). Dr. Wynn has served as a dental researcher and teacher of dental pharmacology and dental hygiene pharmacology for his entire professional career. He holds a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy and a doctorate in pharmacology from the University of Maryland. Wynn chaired the Department of Pharmacology at UMSOD from 1980 to 1995. Previously he chaired the Department of Oral Biology at the University of Kentucky College of Dentistry. Wynn has authored more than 300 publications and has given more than 500 continuing education seminars, nationally and internationally.
This course fulfills the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners requirements for all dentists seeking license renewal in 2014. The goal of this course is to articulate and inform licensees about the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR 10.44.22) and to address the role that dental practitioners play in preventing prescription drug abuse.
The following topics will be covered:
- Proper prescription writing
- A review of the U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) schedule of controlled substances
- The most commonly abused prescribed drugs
- Opioid dependency and educating patients when prescribing
- Alternatives to opioid therapy for treating patients who are experiencing pain
- Prescribing for non-patients or family members without a documented history of treatment
- Prescribing for non-dental purposes
- Recognizing dependent patients and “doctor shoppers”
- Self-prescribing and diversion
- Support services for dependent practitioners
- Safeguarding prescription pads and the use of electronic prescribing
- Identifying best practices for appropriate handling and disposal of medications and controlled substances
- Dentist: Complimentary
Please note that preregistration is required for this course.
- 2 CDE credit hours / Lecture
The University of Maryland School of Dentistry has designated this activity for 2 Continuing Dental Education hours.