I would like to thank the whole team in the Department of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Maryland for allowing me the opportunity to be part of the OMFS Externship program. The two weeks in the Medical Center reaffirmed my desire to pursue a career in oral-maxillofacial after observing the high level of professionalism and work ethic of the faculty, residents and staff. Thanks again!
The University of Maryland offers a 2 or 4 week externship rotation at the University of Maryland Medical Center for dental students who are interested in pursuing a career in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Activities include full participation on morning and evening rounds, attendance at courses and seminars for the residents, supervised patient care in the hospital ambulatory clinic, and assisting in the care of hospital patients on the floors, in the operating rooms and in the trauma and emergency suites. Students will also be expected to do some library research and give a short presentation to the faculty and residents.
Read about previous externs' experiences on our testimonials webpage.
How Do I Apply?
All prospective externs must submit the following to be considered for the program:
- A letter recommending the student for the externship from a full time faculty member or the Chair of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery at the student's school
- A dental school transcript*
- The results of Part I of the National Dental Boards (may be a photocopy of the official report)
- Provide a curriculum vitae or resume
- Proof of mal practice insurance
- PPD results (within the last year)
*The Department ONLY accepts students from US or Canadian schools at this time. Thank you for your interest.
- Employee Security ID Application
- Readiness for Ambulatory Providers
- Clinic Orientation Manual
- Operating Room Rules
- Confidentiality Statement
Please submit your documents to Alida Fitzpatrick, externship coordinator:
650 W. Baltimore St.
Baltimore, MD 21201