Chairman and Professor
|Oncology and Diagnostic Sciences|
My primary research interest is to identify and elucidate molecular alterations and their roles in the multi-step process of upper aerodigestive tract malignancies, especially head and neck cancer and lung cancer. We are actively exploring the possibility to use molecular markers in cancer early detection, risk assessment, and personalized treatment. My laboratory also has active research programs in the area of targeted experimental therapeutics and mechanistic understanding of epigenetic regulation in tumorgenesiscancer and precancer.
1.Mao L, Hong, WK, and Papadimitrakopoulou V. Focus on head and neck cancer, Cancer Cell; 5:311-316, 2004.
2. Ren H, Tang X, Lee JJ, Feng L, Everett AD, Hong WK, Khuri FR, Mao L: Expression of hepatoma-derived growth factor is a strong prognostic predictor for patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology; 22:3230-3237, 2004.
3. Ren H, Tai S-K, Khuri F, Chu Z, Mao L: Farnesyltransferase inhibitor SCH66336 induces rapid phosphorylation of eukaryotic translation elongation factor 2 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells. Cancer Research; 65:5841-5847, 2005.
4. Zhang J, Ren H, Yuan P, Lang W, Zhang L, Mao L: Down-regulation of hepatoma-derived growth factor inhibits anchorage-independent growth and invasion of non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Research, 66:18-23, 2006.
5. Wang J, Walsh G, Liu D, Lee JJ, Mao L: Expression of deltaDNMT3B Variants and its association with promoter methylation of p16 and RASSF1A in primary non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Research; 66:8361-8366, 2006.
6. Temam S, Kawaguchi H, El-Naggar AK, Jelinek J, Tang H, Liu D, Lang W, Issa, Lee JJ, Mao L: Epidermal growth factor receptor copy number alterations correlate with poor clinical outcome in patients with head and neck squamous cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology; 25:2152-6. 2007.
7. Wang J, Bhutan M, Pathak AK, Lang W, Ren H, Jelinek J, He R, Shen L, Issa JP, and Mao L. deltaDNMT3B variants regulate DNA methylation in a promoter-specific manner. Cancer Research; 67(22):10647-52. 2007.
8. Kawaguchi H, El-Naggar AK, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Ren H, Fan YH, Feng L, Lee JJ, Kim E, Hong WK, Lippman SM, Mao L. Podoplanin: a novel marker for oral cancer risk in patients with oral premalignancy. Journal of Clinical Oncology; 26(3):354-60, 2008.
9. Bhutani M, Pathak AK, Fan Y, Liu D, Lee JJ, Tang H, Kurie JM, Morice RC, Kim ES, Hong WK, Mao L. Oral Epithelium as a Surrogate Tissue for Assessing Smoking-Induced Molecular Alterations in the Lungs. Cancer Prevention Research; 1: 39-44, 2008.
10. Ren H, Chu Z, Mao L. Antibodies targeting hepatoma-derived growth factor as a novel strategy in treating lung cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics; in press, 2009.
EUDCATION AND TRAINING:
- Medical Degree: Nanjing Medical University
- Residency: The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University
- Fellowship: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine