Ro- Musculoskeletal Pain Lab
Glutamate Receptor/TRP channels
- MK Chung, JS Lee, G Duraes, JY Ro (2011) Lipopolysaccharide-induced Pulpitis Up-regulates TRPV1 in Trigeminal Ganglia. Journal of Dental Research, 90:1103-7.
- YH Chun and JY Ro (2010) Electrophysiological characterization of the rat trigeminal caudalis (Vc) neurons following intramuscular injection of capsaicin. Neuroscience Lett, 469: 289-93.
- JY Ro, JS Lee, and Y Zhang (2009) Activation of TRPV1 and TRPA1 leads to muscle nociception and mechanical hyperalgesia. Pain 144: 270-7.
- YH Chun, D Frank, JS Lee, Y Zhang, Q Auh, JY Ro (2008) Peripheral AMPA receptors contribute to muscle nociception and c-fos activation. Neurosci Res 62: 97-104.
- JS Lee and JY Ro (2007) Differential regulation of excitatory amino acid receptor subunits following masseter inflammation in trigeminal ganglia. Neurosci Lett. 421:91-95.
- JS Lee and JY Ro (2007) Peripheral metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 mediates mechanical hypersensitivity of craniofacial muscle tissue via the PKC dependent mechanisms. Neuroscience 146(1):375-83.
- JY Ro, NF Capra, JS Lee, R Masri, and YH Chun, YH (2007) Mechanisms involved in the hypertonic saline-induced muscle nociception and c-Fos like immunoreactivity in rat brainstem neurons. European Journal of Pain 11: 398-405
- JY Ro and NF Capra (2006) Assessing mechanical sensitivity of masseter muscle in lightly anesthetized rats: A model for craniofacial muscle hyperalgesia. Neurosci Res 56: 119-123.
- JY Ro, M Nies, and Y Zhang (2005) The role of peripehral NMDA receptors in muscle hyperalgesia. NeuroReport 16:485-489.
- JY Ro (2005) Bite Force Measurement in Awake Rats: A Behavioral Model for Persistent Orofacial Muscle Pain and Hyperalgesia. J. Orofacial Pain 19:159-167.
- NF Capra and JY Ro (2004) Human and animal experimental models of acute and chronic muscle pain: intramuscular algesic injection. Pain 110: 3-7.
- M Nies, and JY Ro (2004) Bite force measurements in awake rats. Brain Res. Protocols 12: 180-185.
- JY Ro, NF Capra, and R Masri (2004) Contribution of peripheral N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors to c-fos expression in the trigeminal spinal nucleus following acute masseteric inflammation. Neuroscience 123: 213-219.
- JY Ro (2003) Contribution of central and peripheral NMDA receptors in craniofacial muscle nociception and edema formation Brain Res. 979: 78-84.
- JY Ro, A Harriott, U Crouse, and NF Capra (2003) Innocuous jaw movements increase c-fos expression in trigeminal sensory nuclei produced by masseter muscle inflammation. Pain 104:539-548.
- JY Ro, NF Capra, and R Masri (2003) Development of a behavioral assessment of craniofacial muscle pain in lightly anesthetized rats. Pain 104: 179-185
Sex Differences in Pain and Analgesia
- JL Saloman, K Niu, and JY Ro (2011) Activation of peripheral delta-opioid receptors leads to anti-hyperalgesic responses in the masseter muscle of male and female rats. Neuroscience, 190:379-85
- K Niu, J Saloman, Y Zhang and JY Ro (2011) Sex differences in the contribution of ATP-sensitive K(+) channels in trigeminal ganglia under an acute muscle pain condition. Neuroscience, 180: 344-352.
- K Niu and JY Ro (2011) Cytokine levels during masseter inflammation in male and female rats. Neurosci Lett, 487: 223-227.
- S Nunez, JS Lee, Y Zhang Y, G Bai and JY Ro (2007) Role of peripheral μ-opioid receptors in inflammatory orofacial muscle pain. Neuroscience 146(3):1346-54.
Nitric Oxide and Pain
- YH Chun, JS Lee, Q Auh and JY Ro (2011) Masseter inflammation differentially regulates three nitric oxide synthases in the subnucleus caudalis (Vc) of the trigeminal sensory nuclear complex. Archives of Oral Biology,
- JS Lee, Y Zhang, and JY Ro (2008) Involvement of neuronal, inducible, and endothelia nitric oxide synthases in capsaicin-induced muscle hypersensitivity. European Journal of Pain, 13: 924-8.
- JY Ro, JS Lee, NF Capra and Y Zhang (2007) Role of soluble guanylate cyclase in the trigeminal subnucleus caudalis in capsaicin-induced muscle hypersensitivity Brain Research, 1184: 141-148
Trigeminal and Cortical Sensory Processing
- EP Gardner, JY Ro, KS Babu, S Ghosh (2007) Neurophysiology of prehension. II. Response diversity in primary somatosensory (S-I) and motor (M-I) cortices. Journal of Neurophysiol. 97(2):1656-70.
- EP Gardner, KS Babu, SD Reitzen, S Ghosh, AM Brown, J Chen, AL Hall, M Herzlinger, JB Kohlenstein, and JY Ro (2007) Neurophysiology of prehension: I. Posterior parietal cortex and object-oriented hand behaviors. Journal of Neurophysiol. 97(1):387-406.
- R Masri, NF Capra, JY Ro and D Dessem (2006) Classification of muscle spindle afferents innervating the masseter muscle in rats. Archives of Oral Biology 51: 740-747.
- R Masri, JY Ro, and NF Capra (2005) The effects of experimental muscle pain on amplitude and velocity sensitivity of jaw closing muscle spindle afferents. Brain Res 1050: 138-47.
- JY Ro, Y Zhang, and M Nies (2005) Substance P does not play a critical role in neurogenic inflammation in the rat masseter muscle. Brain Res 1047: 38-44
- JY Ro, P Svensson, and NF Capra (2002). Effects of experimental muscle pain on electromyographic activity of masticatory muscles in anesthetized rats. Muscle & Nerve 25: 576-584.
- EP Gardner, DY Debowy, JY Ro, S Ghosh, KS Babu (2002) Sensory monitoring of prehension in the parietal lobe: a study using digital video. Behav. Brain Res. 135:213-224.
- JY Ro and NF Capra (2001) Modulation of jaw muscle spindle activity following intramuscular injections with hypertonic saline. Pain 92:117-127.
- DY Debowy, JY Ro, S Gosh, and EP Gardner (2001) Comparison of neuronal firing rates in somatosensory and posterior parietal cortex during prehension. Exp. Brain Res. 137:269-291.
- JY Ro, DY Debowy, S Ghosh, and EP Gardner (2000) Depression of neuronal firing rates in somatosensory and posterior parietal cortex during prehension. Exp. Brain Res. 135:1-11
- NF Capra, and JY Ro (2000) Experimental muscle pain produces central modulation of proprioceptive signals arising from jaw muscle spindles. Pain 86: 151-162.
- JY Ro and NF Capra (1999) Physiological evidence for caudal projections on jaw muscle spindle afferents. Exp. Brain Res. 128: 425-434.
- JY Ro and NF Capra (1999) Evidence for subnucleus interpolaris in craniofacial muscle pain mechanisms demonstrated by intramuscular injections with saline. Brain Res. 842:166-183.
- EP Gardner, JY Ro, DY Debowy, and S Ghosh (1999) Facilitation of neuronal activity in sensorimotor cortex during prehension. Exp. Brain Res. 127:329-354.
- JY Ro, DY Debowy, S Lu, S Ghosh, and EP Gardner (1998). Digital video: A tool for correlating neuronal firing patterns with hand motor behavior. J Neurosci Meth 82: 215-231.
- JY Ro and NF Capra (1995). Encoding of jaw movements by central trigeminal neurons with cutaneous receptive fields. Exp. Brain Res. 104: 363-375.
- JY Ro and NF Capra (1994). Receptive field properties of trigeminothalamic neurons in the rostral trigeminal sensory nuclei of cats. Somatosen. and Mot. Res. 12: 119-130.
- NF Capra, JY Ro, and TD Wax (1994). Physiological identification of movement-related neurons in the spinal trigeminal nucleus of cats. Somatosen. and Mot. Res. 11: 77-88.