University of Maryland, College Park Dental Clinic
The purpose of the University of Maryland School of Dentistry’s College Park Dental Clinic is to provide accessibility to affordable dental health care services to the students, faculty and staff of the University of Maryland, College Park. It also supports the School of Dentistry and its mission to provide high quality dental care while educating dental students.
With the desire for the School of Dentistry to be more active in providing care to the surrounding communities, a School of Dentistry clinic was founded at the UMCP Health Center.
The School of Dentistry’s Advanced Education in General Dentistry Program (AEGD) operates and provides faculty and students to staff the dental clinic at UMCP. AEGD is an educational program designed to provide training beyond the level of predoctoral education in oral health care. All AEGD students are graduates of undergraduate dental schools that confer a DDS, DMD or BDS degree. Education in this program is based on the concept that oral health is an integral and interactive part of total health. The program is designed to expand the scope and depth of the knowledge and skills of the postgraduate students and to enable them to provide comprehensive oral health care to a wide range of population groups. In addition, it provides predoctoral students the opportunity to work with the postgraduate students and faculty.
The College Park dental clinic provides the post-graduate AEGD students with the opportunity to provide care in a private practice scenario. The postgraduate students work alongside the attending faculty of the School of Dentistry with both faculty and postgraduate students providing patient care. Postgraduate students from advanced dental education specialty programs of the School of Dentistry will be available on an as-needed basis. Referral to the School of Dentistry’s clinical facilities in Baltimore may be necessary to treat more complicated conditions or perform advanced procedures. In addition, predoctoral dental students also rotate to the clinic to provide care under the supervision of the attending faculty.
The Goals and Objectives for the College Park Dental Clinic:
- To act as a primary care provider for students, faculty, staff and others affiliated with UMCP. The dental clinic services will include providing priority appointments for emergency care during normal operating hours and appropriate on-call provisions, such as telephone consultation and referral to an emergency room for after-hours emergencies. The dental clinic will provide patient-focused care that is coordinated between the postgraduate students, predoctoral students and attending School of Dentistry faculty (with consent of the patient).
- Plan and provide multidisciplinary oral health care for a wide variety of patients including patients with special needs.
- Manage the delivery of oral health care by applying concepts of patient and practice management and quality improvement that are responsive to a dynamic health care environment.
- Function effectively and efficiently by coordinating dental clinic services with referral to services provided by the health care providers of the UMCP Health Center, with patient consent.
- Utilize the values of professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient centered care, adaptability and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice.
- Support the athletic program by providing dental care on an as-needed basis.