Master of Science Program in Dental Hygiene
Admission Guidelines and Criteria
Admission to the Master of Science Program in Dental Hygiene at the University of Maryland, Baltimore resides with the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Graduate School. Complete information on application and admission procedures are found in the catalog of the University of Maryland Graduate School: http://www.graduate.umaryland.edu/catalog/index.html
The Division of Dental Hygiene admission requirements are as follows for the Master of Science degree program:
- Must be a graduate from an accredited U.S. or Canadina entry-level dental hygiene program (see http://www.ada.org/5500.aspx for accredited dental hygiene programs)
- Must have a baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene or a related field; and
- Must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) in undergraduate education
*Other assessments may be requested by the Program Director if needed.
The Division of Dental Hygiene admissions committee determines admission based on your academic record, recommendation letters, and your personal goal statement. The Graduate Program Director then forwards the recommendation for admission or non-admission to the Graduate School. The Graduate School notifies you of your admission status:
- Admission in full graduate status;
- Provisional status; or
- Not admitted.
Once admitted, students must be in continuous registration with at least one credit for fall and spring semesters. It is not required that students be enrolled during summer sessions.
*Note: The Division DOES NOT require the Graduate Records Examination or the Miller Analogies test.
Application for Admission
Fall Admission: June 30
Spring Admission: November 30
Prior to applying to the Master of Science degree program, the Graduate Program Director strongly encourages scheduling a pre-advising meeting (either over the phone or in person) to discuss the applicant’s academic and career goals. Questions about the program can be answered at this time. Contact Katy Battani, Graduate Program Director at email@example.com or 410-706-7773.
Obtain the admission application materials from the Graduate School online
Letters of recommendation with the required forms from the Graduate School
should be faxed directly to the Graduate Program Director in the Division of Dental Hygiene at 410-706-0349.
Other Graduate School Policies Related to Admission
A number of other policies of the Graduate School governing admissions should be kept in mind. Chief among these are:
- Students must complete the program in (5) years.
- A student is admitted only for a specified objective e.g., a Master of Science degree. If a change of objective or degree level is desired, a new application must be submitted.
- A student's admission terminates when the original objective has been obtained (e.g., when a student admitted for a Master's degree completes the requirements for that degree); if a student wishes to continue for a doctorate in another Department, a new application must be submitted.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 (B) of better in all graduate courses taken and must satisfy all additional Division and Graduate School program requirements.