|Sheryl Syme, RDH, MS||Dental Hygiene|
Sheryl L. Ernest Syme, RDH, MS obtained her B.S. Degree in Dental Hygiene from the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UM,B) Dental School and her M.S. degree from the UM,B Graduate School with an area of concentration in Community/Institutional Health. Ms. Syme is Associate Professor and Director, Dental Hygiene Curriculum Management & Director of the Degree Completion Dental Hygiene Program and has been in dental hygiene education for 19 years.
Prior to her academic appointments, Ms. Syme served for 3 years as the Dental Services Coordinator and Educator at Deaton Specialty Hospital and Home in Baltimore, MD. She has been teaching at the University of Maryland Dental School for 17 years and prior to that for 2 years at Harrisburg Area Community College in PA. In addition to being course coordinator for several dental hygiene courses at the University of Maryland Dental School, Ms. Syme also teaches in junior and senior clinics.
- Participated in an international dental mission for 20th Anniversary Operation Smile Vietnam- provided screening, prevention and dental hygiene treatment services for over 800 school children in Thai Binh
- Maryland State Clinical Director for the Special Olympics Special Smiles program.
- Director of Education for the Mid-Atlantic P.A.N.D.A. coalition and has presented numerous continuing education courses for dental team members on abuse and neglect.
- Collaborated with a corporate and non-profit organization to develop national webinar on abuse and neglect.
- Site visitor and curriculum expert for the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- Curriculum expert on the Test Construction Committee for the Dental Hygiene National Board Exam.
- Editorial review board member for the Journal of Dental Hygiene.
- Published articles on oral cancer assessment and behaviors of dental hygienists, clinical dental hygiene practice and the use of educational technology in distance education programs.
- Member of the Oral Cancer Commitee for The Maryland Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan
- Served for 3 years as Chair,Research and Grants Review Committee (2005-2008) for the American Dental Hygienists’ Association; beginning new term as Chair 2011-Present
- Reviewer for the annual Sigma Phi Alpha Journalism competition.
- Active member of the American Dental Hygienists’ Association and the American Dental Education Association.
- Past vice-president and secretary of the Maryland Chapter of Sigma Phi Alpha Dental Hygiene Honor Society and life-long member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
- Received UM,B Dental Hygiene Teacher of the Year Awards from Classes of 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005.
- Community Oral Health, Special Patients
- Hospital Dentistry
- Dental Hygiene Education and Research
- Dental Hygiene Curriculum Expert
- Service to Local and National Agencies
- DHYG 322 Care and Management of the Special Patient
- DHYG 323 Community Oral Health
- DHYG 414 Educational Program Development
- DHYG 418 Degree Completion Practicum I
- DHYG 424 Special Topics-Degree Completion
- DHYG 428 Degree Completion Practicum II