Click on the button above to update your contact info with the School of Dentistry and receive alumni news.
International Volunteer Dental Projects: What’s It All About Anyway? A 37-Year Perspective That Started Right Here at UMSOD
Friday, June 8, 1 - 5 p.m. at the School of Dentistry (room G314)
Speaker: Francis G. Serio, DMD, PERIO '86, MS '91, MBA, FACD, FICD
Founder and Director, Dominican Dental Mission Project
Who knew back in 1982 that a summer trip to the Dominican Republic would turn into a lifelong love? From that beginning, Dr. Serio has gained a wealth of knowledge and experience in international volunteer activities. This course is designed for dentists, dental hygienists, other dental professionals, and other interested parties who want to learn more about the nuts and bolts of volunteering around the world or around the block. It will also be useful for those with some volunteering experience looking for new ideas or just validation of what they are doing. Topics include the nature of volunteer activities, cross-cultural issues, comparison of service and teaching projects, how to get started either at home or abroad, the nuts and bolts of volunteering overseas and at home, and where to find these volunteer opportunities. There will be ample time for interaction with the presenter and other experienced members of the audience.
This course is for all those interested in international volunteer projects.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- identify why they are interested in volunteering;
- understand the importance of working within the context of the local community;
- compare and contrast the nature of teaching and service projects with the advantages and disadvantages of each type;
- outline the steps necessary to get started including needs assessment, goal setting, and team assembly;
- describe the nuts and bolts of volunteering including what to do and resources to support the project;
- find volunteer projects and other sources of information; and
- appreciate existing projects, both teaching and service, both in the US and overseas.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2012-2013 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.