Please read all instructions below before completing your on-line application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete this application. You will create a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and Password. Your PIN and Password enable you to return to your application as many times as you wish before your final submission to the University of Maryland School of Dentistry. So please make special note of this information.
You may also check the status and progress of your application on-line by logging back into SURFs from the ‘Check Application Status’ link above. Make sure you use the same PIN and password each time you log-in.
All of your information is transmitted through a secure server and is kept fully confidential. Your application information and supplemental materials are reviewed by the Committee on Dental Hygiene Recruitment and Admissions for the following: completeness of application, Dental Hygiene GPA, overall GPA, overall academic record (including repeats, failures, withdrawals, etc.), interest in enhanced dental hygiene education, written and verbal communication skills, prior dental hygiene work experience, professional demeanor, professional involvement, the ability to interact with others, interest in and knowledge of the dental hygiene profession, quality of written pre-interview short answer responses and service to the community.
Before completing the on-line application, please review the Dental Hygiene Degree Completion Program admissions requirements and guidelines listed on our website at:
In addition to completing the on-line application information, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission:
- Official Transcripts
Official transcripts must be received from each college or university attended. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by WES or ECE.
- US Dental Hygiene License
- Healthcare Provider CPR Card
Copy of the Front and the Back.
- Application for In-State Status Classification (Maryland residents only)
- 2x2 Passport Size Photo
- $75 (US) Non-refundable application fee made payable to the University of Maryland
- Once you log into the on-line application following the instructions provided by the "First Time Applicants Click Here" link, you will first select an 'Application Term' and an 'Applicant Type' from the drop-down menus; the 'Applicant Type' is the program to which you are applying.
- Follow the on-line instructions for completing the application in its entirety paying special attention the required items; be sure to complete each section of the application under the 'Application Checklist'
- Select DHYG Degree Completion (BS)
You may stop and save your work to continue at a later time while completing the on-line application. Please note, however, your application will not be reviewed or considered until it is submitted successfully, and all supplemental materials and your $75 application fee are received.
Before you click the ‘Submit’ button of your on-line application print each page for your records.
NOTE: While you may check the status and progress of your application on-line by logging back into SURFs, you may not make further modifications (changes, additions, etc.) to it on-line once it has been electronically submitted. Any corrected or additional information must be sent to the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Dental Hygiene Office of Admissions by postal mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again.