Policy for Limiting Enrollment Time
Policy for Limiting Enrollment Time and National Board Examination Eligibility for Predoctoral Dental Students
The maximum number of years to complete all dental courses and pass Part I and Part II of the National Board Dental Examinations will be six years.*
1. The maximum number of years to complete Year I and Year II courses will be three years. After completing the Year I curriculum, a student will have up to a maximum of three attempts within 15 months of eligibility to pass Part I of the National Boards. A student who does not pass Part I within 15 months of eligibility, regardless of the number of attempts, will be dismissed.
2. The maximum number of years to complete all Year III and Year IV clinical and didactic requirements will be three years. A student who fails Part II of the National Boards a total of three times during the first senior year and any remedial senior year will be dismissed.
3. Following completion of Year IV requirements, a student may be granted an additional seven months to pass Part II of the National Board Dental Examinations on a third and final attempt provided all the following criteria are met: (a) total time enrolled including the additional seven months will not exceed the six-year limit and (b) the student has had only two opportunities to take Part II.
4. Requests for exceptions to the above timetable because of interruptions caused by illness or leave of absence may be appealed to the Faculty Council.
5. A student may appeal any decision reached pursuant to this policy under the School's established academic appeal process.
6. This policy does not apply to students in combined degree programs.
*This policy is based on the current format and schedule of the National Board Dental Examinations. In the event there is a change in the format or schedule of the examinations, this policy will be revised. Approved by the Faculty Council: November 15, 2007
Reviewed: August 1, 2016
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2012-2013 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.