|Director: Dr. Ru-ching Hsia||Core Imaging Facility|
Dr. Ru-ching Hsia holds a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from Stanford University. She has conducted research related to microbial pathogenesis for over 20 years and worked at the Pasteur Institute in France and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in England. Dr. Hsia has been the Director of the Core Imaging Facility since 2005. She is an associate professor in Department of Neural and Pain Sciences of the School of Dentistry and adjunct faculty in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology of the School of Medicine. Dr. Hsia's research interest is the ultrastructural analysis of chlamydial surface proteins and components of the type three secretion system. She is currently collaborating on several EM-related research projects and is interested in opening new collaborations on structural biology related subjects by using advanced EM techniques.
Dr. Ru-ching Hsia, Ph.D.
Room 696B, Howard Hall, 660 W. Redwood Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Telephone: 410.706.7992, Fax: 410.706.0193
- Crane, D. D., J. H. Carlson, E. R. Fischer, P. Bavoil, R. C. Hsia, C. Tan, C. C. Kuo, and H. D. Caldwell. 2006. Chlamydia trachomatis polymorphic membrane protein D is a species-common pan-neutralizing antigen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1894-9.
- Mukhopadhyay, S., A. Akmal, A. C. Stewart, R. C. Hsia, and T. D. Read. 2009. Identification of Bacillus anthracis spore component antigens conserved across diverse Bacillus cereus sensu lato strains. Mol Cell Proteomics 8:1174-91.
- Tan, C., R. C. Hsia, H. Shou, J. A. Carrasco, R. G. Rank, and P. M. Bavoil. Variable expression of surface-exposed polymorphic membrane proteins in in vitro-grown Chlamydia trachomatis. Cell Microbiol 12:174-87.
- Tan, C., R. C. Hsia, H. Shou, C. L. Haggerty, R. B. Ness, C. A. Gaydos, D. Dean, A. M. Scurlock, D. P. Wilson, and P. M. Bavoil. 2009. Chlamydia trachomatis-infected patients display variable antibody profiles against the nine-member polymorphic membrane protein family. Infect Immun 77:3218-26.
- Carrasco, J.A., C. Tan, R.G. Rank, R.-c. Hsia, and P.M. Bavoil. 2011. Altered developmental expression of polymorphic membrane proteins in stress-induced in vitro persistent Chlamydia trachomatis. Cellul. Microbiol., July; 13(7): 1014–1025.
- Hovis KM, Mojica S, McDermott JE, Pedersen L, Simhi C, Rank RG, Myers GS, Ravel J, Hsia RC, Bavoil PM. 2013. Genus-optimized strategy for the identification of chlamydial type III secretion substrates. Pathog Dis. 2013 Dec;69(3):213-22.
- Vorimore F, Hsia RC, Huot-Creasy H, Bastian S, Deruyter L, Passet A, Sachse K, Bavoil P, Myers G, Laroucau K. 2013 Isolation of a New Chlamydia species from the Feral Sacred Ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus): Chlamydia ibidis. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 20;8(9):e74823.